School is back in session, and that means that those rare moments when everyone is together for family dinner have become a more precious part of the day.
Between our work schedule and the kids’ homework, play practices, soccer games, and more, we are constantly running around the South Bay with little time to relax. That’s why we really cherish the conversations we get to have around the family dinner table in between delicious bites.
The conversation around the table can tend to die out after the typical questions of how everyone’s day was, what they learned at school, and who scored the winning shot at the game this week.
Save this article full of fun questions to pull out the next time the chatter starts to die down, and get ready for some memories to be made!
Family Dinner Questions to Make You Laugh
Get ready for the giggles with your family as you take turns asking these questions:
- If you could be any ingredient that’s in your dinner right now, which one would you be and why?
- What is the funniest joke you have ever heard?
- If you were a cheese, what would you smell like?
- What is the funniest face you can make?
- If you were a giggle monster, what would your laugh sound like?
Family Dinner Questions to Foster Kindness
We love making everyone feel like they can do something nice for someone. Ask the kids (and grown-ups!) these questions at your next family dinner to foster a sense of kindness:
- What’s one nice thing that you did for someone today?
- Can you think of the kindest thing someone has ever told you?
- What does kindness mean to you?
- If you were looking in the mirror right now, what is one nice thing you’d say to yourself?
- Who is the kindest person that you know?
Family Dinner Questions to Build Creativity
Creative thinking through questions like these help us better understand what children may be thinking and feeling:
- If you were a noodle, which shape would you be and why?
- If you were a lasagna, what would your layers be made of?
- If you had to give a new name to the meal we’re eating tonight, what would you call it, and why?
- If you could make up one new rule in your school that everyone had to follow, what would it be?
- Use your imagination – is the food on your plate shaped like anything in particular? (Like if you were to look at a cloud in the sky!)
Give these questions a try whether you’re at your table at home or joining us for a meal. Tag us on Instagram with #BettolinoKitchen to share some of the things your family comes up with in conversation!
Looking for a family dinner experience in Redondo Beach?
We’re a fourth-generation South Bay family, with a restaurant located in Redondo Beach. Outside of the kitchen, we cherish the time we get to spend with our own family and love creating that same experience for others, too.
From a well-tested kids’ menu (our own kids eat from it several times each week) to a free photo booth to capture memories during your visit, we are always looking for ways to make your family dining experience special every single time.
We hope you’ll join us for a special meal with your family around the table soon!